Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer Reading....The Good, the Unusual, and more to go...

Under the DomeUnder the Dome by Stephen King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This story got off to a quick start with lots of people dying at the start.  Once the ground was established the story telling got better, i.e., I started to learn more about each character and see where the battle lines were going to be drawn.

I enjoyed reading about this town under the dome, but I would give Mr. King's more recent book, "Playland", higher marks.  I liked the overall idea, or exploring how a community might react when cut off from the outside world, but I think it got a little over the top here.

Still a good diversion....


SYLO (The SYLO Chronicles, #1)SYLO by D.J. MacHale
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I like the main characters in this story, for the most part.  Tucker is a believable high school guy who is trying to fit in and find his place in this island community off the coast of Maine.  Tori develops as the leading female protagonist as these young people seek to make sense out of what has happened to their island late in August with the military moves in.

This story is a first in a series, which is never my favorite.  I like each book to stand alone as a story.

While I liked the characters, the premise of the book seems a bit out there were the buses don't run.  I am not sure yet whether I will pursue the the next time in the series.

I am surprise a bit.  This book was very highly rated by several sites - Kirkus Reviews among others.  I know it turned up on two lists I follow.  I read it so that I would have some idea of how my preferences as a reader compared with their lists.  The jury is still out....


View all my reviews


No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...