After what seemed like a reckless decision by Harry Reid to put DADT repeal to a vote before reaching an agreement with Collins to allow enough time for debate, it failed. Now, Collins and Lieberman say they will bring a DADT repeal vote to the floor as a stand-alone measure, which would require House action one more time. I have no idea whether this is viable as a way to save repeal. But one does note that repeal has passed the House, is supported by the military chiefs and defense secretary, has the backing of two-thirds of the American public, and has a 57 - 40 majority in the Senate.I don't even see how it can be legal to deny people the opportunity to participate in the military. There must be some Congressional dictate that is a work-around from the protections of the Constitution.
Rambling thoughts on books, politics, history, and anything else that pops up...
Friday, December 10, 2010
Where Do We Go From Here...
Yesterday the U.S. Senate voted down DADT, which I find incredibly depressing. The information below makes the situation seem less dire and more like orchestrated steps in a political dance. Here is what Andrew Sullivan had on his "Daily Dish":
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae
On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...
-
On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...
-
So within the last three or four days, my friend, Jeff Pierce, was rear-ended by a younger woman who was "not paying attention" as...
-
The view from the crest of Mt. Piscah, Eugene, Oregon Last Monday, I got to hike Mt. Piscah and it was beautiful. As I reached the crest ...
No comments:
Post a Comment