Last night I finished The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. On the Tex scale of books (four paws up being the best) I give this novel a paw and a half (despite having strong cat parts throughout the story).This story gets off to a strong start. There are two teen-age characters, a brother and sister who have been separated from most of their lives. The story begins as the recount the evening in the British Museum with their father, an archaeologist that leads to five hundred pages of mayhem with different Egyptian gods.
At the beginning of the story the female lead has a great voice. She grew up in London, and it is evident during the beginning of the book in her choice of idiom. Unfortunately, that wonderful "British" voice seems to fade in and out for most of the rest of the story.
I think my main trouble is that I just am not that interested in tales of wrestling with different gods, godlings, magicians, and whoever else shows up. At times I felt like I needed a scorecard to keep track of everyone, and how they were connected to one another.
My final irritation with this book was the poor binding. I bought the book in hardback and the binding has completely come apart. Now that I am done with the story, I will try and reglue the beast.
I know Mr. Riordan is widely popular for his serious of books about the Greek gods, but I have to say this bad boy did nothing for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment