Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dear Harriett...

Dear Harriett,

Here it is, nine years after you have left, and we still miss you each and everyday.

As I am sure you know, much has happened since you have left. Dad has kind of packed it in. I now have a better idea of what you had to deal with in living with dad. After you left dad continued to befriend Mr. Smirnoff, and that kept up until his fall last August. Now Dad watches television for seven to ten hours a day. That seems to be the limits of his interests.

Winston is doing well. He married Shiho three Octobers ago (I think) and they now live with Dad, to help care for him. While marrying Shiho was a great move, I think moving to DC has been harder on Winston as he is away from all his friends from the last 25-30 years. Shiho comes home tomorrow from six weeks in Japan where she was caring for her sister who just had her first child. I know Winston will be very glad to have Shiho home.

Gaylord and Jon just bought a townhouse in Brooklyn. Jon continues to work very hard and Gaylord is beginning to consider returning to some kind of work. I don't have any pictures of their new place, but I am sure that it is wonderful. Jon has been very good for Gaylord. She has struggled a bit since you left. She can't seem to find a focus.

Here we are largely the same, only older. Karyl is doing great things at school in the Communications department. We are getting ready to take Maura to BU for her freshman year. Erik is living in Portland this summer. He is happy to be on his own. Erik is living with Chris, and I think another guy named, Paul in the fall. Chris and Erik are trying to navigate the employment scene in Portland this summer, and it is tough going. I keep hoping they will find something at LC or the law school nearby.

I am trying to do better. I am trying to be a better parent, husband, colleague and of course, teacher. These past few years I have been trying to learn more about reading, and that has helped me do better at school. It is important to stay fresh.

Well, I wanted to let you know that we miss you greatly. We miss you gracious tennis games, your laughter, your wonderful dinners, and your delightful sense of humor.

Please care for yourself.

Byron

1 comment:

J. Kingston Pierce said...

A very sweet remembrance. Thanks for sharing it on the Web.

Cheers,
Jeff

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...