![]() |
| Rain totals for the storm from last night and this morning. |
I was going to ride the 1978 Trek 710 that I recently refurbished, but given the increasing amount of rain, it seemed to make more sense to break out the water proof panniers and ride the ole Trek 520. So at 5 a.m. I took my pannier and went to the garage where I put my touring wheels on the 520 and then I waited for a break in the lightening before heading out at 5:20ish.
By the time I was at the end of the block, I was soaked. So much for the rain gear. I was somewhat anxious as the lightening continued to boom. It got especially bad along Minnehaha parkway were there were a couple of pops of lightening that were way too close. I pulled under a picnic shelter just before the Ford Bridge, hoping for a break in the weather. Fortunately, a gap in the storm came along and I headed out again.
All was going well as I was headed downhill on the east side of Saint Paul headed for the bike trail - and then the pothole.
How I didn't crash I will never know. My left hand and foot came off the handlebars and then my chest hit the handlebars. Some how I managed to break with my right hand as I steadied the bike and slowed to a stop at the bottom of the hill. A construction worker who was there, and saw the whole scene, commented that, "That was a close call." I agreed. God love the 520.
Today it rained 1.69" in the Twin Cities and I think I say each drop....
I am happy to be home and in one piece....

No comments:
Post a Comment