Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Job Opening....Syrian Defense Minister

Dawoud Rajha, Former Syrian Defense Minister
The news from Syria is that the civil war has now entered Damascus.  Earlier today, according to NPR, a suicide bomber attacked the Defense ministry, killing the defense minister.

Once again, you have to wonder when the fine people in Assad's regime are going to do the wise up, take the money, the family, and head for safety.  Yes, you have held out longer than Tunisia, Egypt, or Libya -- but, in the end, the song has the same chorus.

I wonder if these guys hang on because of loyalty or fear?  What would I do if I had ended up working in the Assad government and things started to slip?  I tend to be the loyal sort, but do any of these fine gentlemen read history books?  I am sure they must.  It would be easy to paint them as evil knuckledraggers, but I suspect there is a lot more to the story.  Someone must be interviewing these guys and asking the sort of questions that I have...

Did General Rajha ever have doubts about where is journey had taken him?  I wish I knew.

No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...