Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Good Read from Iceland...Indridason Delivers


Reading is similar to watching movies in that context is everything.  My two previous reads this summer had been about grim subjects and I was searching for a story that didn't share such a bleak view of the human condition.  Based on a recommendation of a trusted friend (Thank you Gonzo) I picked up Arnaldur Indridason's Silence of the Grave.  I have to admit to being skeptical about this venture.  I thought this was another author riding on the coat tales of Steig Larsson and the Dragon Tattoo series (which I greatly enjoyed).

This book had me from the first sentence.  "He knew at once it was a human bone, when he took it from the baby who was sitting on the floor chewing it."  That piqued my interest, and while it took me a while to battle through Icelandic names, I enjoyed this story.

A bit ironic that a story about a wife beater would be the tale that I find redemptive in my quest for good summer reads.  Three and half paws up for this title.

No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...