While I was in Seattle, I stopped by the Phinney Books and bought a copy of Marcus Sedgwick's Midwinterblood.
Midwinderblood won the 2014 Michael Printz Award for Young Fiction. Based on that recommendation I bought this book. I have had lots of good luck reading other winners of the Printz Award.
The book has seven stories with the same names cropping up in each story. There are some connections from one story to the next and some stories are more interesting than the others. As you move from one tale to the next you travel back in time so that you are getting the backstory, or you are learning information that will be explained later.
A reoccurring theme is a flower known as the dragon flower. Apparently different parts of this plant have different medicinal/narcotic properties that turn up to varying degrees within each story. I haven't a clue what the flowers might symbolize.
Generally I liked the idea of seven stories that were linked, but the first story was the weakest, or most unusual, and while I was interested in the others, I am not sure I would give this a thumbs up.
On the Tex the Cat scale, I give this two paws up.
No comments:
Post a Comment