Sunday, August 5, 2012

Valencia & Nishi....

So the Twins made a trade today, and you have to wonder what the sub-text is.  Danny Valencia, former third baseman, who has been rightly banished to Rochester this season was traded to Boston just before today's game.  At the end of the game we learned that Tsuyoshi Nishioka has been recalled from Rochester to take Valencia's place.  It will be interested to see what Nishi's game looks like now.  I assume they will throw him in there when he comes up.

Twin's color commentator, Dan Gladden, suggested that this move had nothing to do with batting average, but everything to do with clubhouse.  Given his Twitter picture is from the University of Miami, you can see Gladden's point.

Last night, during the late innings in the game against Boston, Gladden and our announcer, Cory Purvis (?), commented that in the eighth inning, when the Twins needed a pinch-hitter, Valencia was chatting at the fence with teammates as compared to getting batting gloves on, and taking a couple of swings to warm up in case the team needed him.  

So today Valencia is gone.  Connection -- Who knows?
Valencia was gracious to the Twins in his Twitter account.  Hat tip to Danny for that good move.  I wish him well in Pawtucket.  I hope he takes advantage of the fresh start.


237

No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...