If there is something better than sitting on the back porch and listening to playoff baseball, then I want to know what it is. It may be 70°, and it is beautiful. My team, the Twins, is done for the year so now I have to suffer and listen to Hall of Fame Announcer, Bob Uecker call the game for the Milwaukee Brewers. Life is good.
The baseball playoffs are here, and there are good games going on everywhere. Last night, Matt Moore of Tampa Bay, started his third major league game and threw a two-hitter. I had the pleasure of listening to the game as I rode home from work. It was shocking to listen as the Rays took a lead with a Johnny Damon two-run homer. Next Kelly Shopach, the catcher, hits another homerun and it looks like the magic that has followed Tampa for the last month was still going strong.
Last Wednesday night I stayed up later than I should trying to find whether the Red Sox were going to the playoffs or whether Tampa Bay would pull out yet another win - this last win would have to be over the Yankees. The Yankees grab a 7-0 lead and the Red Sox have a 3-2 lead - all looks good in Bean Town. Next thing we know the score is 7-6, and Minnesota native, Dan Johnson, sporting a .108 batting average, is pinch hitting with two outs in the ninth inning. With two strikes, and the season looking over, Johnson pulls a pitch just over the fence in right field and the game is tied. Three innings later Evan Longoria crushes a pitch and the game is over - Tampa wins, and Boston is out.
Next day, Terry Francona is gone from managing the Red Sox (World Series wins in 2004 and 2007). As the story unfolds, Francona, being gracious says that Red Sox quit listening to him and it was time for a change. Apparently, the Red Sox clubhouse chemistry was non-existent this year. No team spirit. And Ozzie Guillen gets traded to Florida for some minor leaguers. All sorts of rich news to bask in this fine afternoon.
Rambling thoughts on books, politics, history, and anything else that pops up...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae
On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...
-
On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...
-
So within the last three or four days, my friend, Jeff Pierce, was rear-ended by a younger woman who was "not paying attention" as...
-
The view from the crest of Mt. Piscah, Eugene, Oregon Last Monday, I got to hike Mt. Piscah and it was beautiful. As I reached the crest ...
No comments:
Post a Comment