A week ago today, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was meeting with her constituents at a Safeway supermarket when a young man came up and shot her in the head. The young man then proceeded to shoot 18 other people, killing six, including a 30 year old man who did community outreach for the congresswoman, a federal judge, and a nine-year old girl (who had been born on 9/11).
Unbelievably the congresswoman Giffords has survived and she seems to be making remarkable progress. Certainly our fingers are crossed for her continued recovery.
During the week there has been a great deal said about what contributed to this event. Sarah Palin was brought into the fray because she had a website that had but gun crosshairs over congresswoman Giffords district. Palin denied that her actions, rhetoric, or any rhetoric were to be considered responsible for the acts of a looney gunman. Some have pointed out that Palin has missed an opportunity to seem like less of a nut job, and more of a leader. Here is the link. Not that I want to see Palin acting like a positive leader...
I thought the president's speech was outstanding. I loved that it was non-political and that it spoke of healing. I found it very moving.
At school, the week ended with a day of faculty workshops about how best to teach boys. Useful stuff. The end of the day was a bit of a jolt. It was announced that the man who had been hired to replace Katie on her maternity leave was "not a good fit" and would not be coming back. He was here for two weeks, and I don't know what happened, but it seems clear that he didn't make good decisions within the walls of room eight. Too bad for all involved.
Finally, I think I have found a solution to my desire to continue biking. After following the craigslist postings for several weeks, I found a bike that should be great for winter biking. I look forward to getting the studded tires on it today and giving it a try later today. We shall see. I hope it works as well as I dreamed it would.
More later....
Rambling thoughts on books, politics, history, and anything else that pops up...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae
On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...
-
On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...
-
So within the last three or four days, my friend, Jeff Pierce, was rear-ended by a younger woman who was "not paying attention" as...
-
The view from the crest of Mt. Piscah, Eugene, Oregon Last Monday, I got to hike Mt. Piscah and it was beautiful. As I reached the crest ...


No comments:
Post a Comment