Yesterday I went mountain biking with Benton and Jon R. I had never been mountain biking before, although I know it can be dangerous, so I was mildly apprehensive at the start.
We were biking a Murphy-Hanrehan Park Reserve in the South Metro. The adventure begins with a nice ride on a hard packed trail through a scenic meadow. "Okay", I say to myself, "I can do this".
And then we entered the woods....
I didn't bring a camera, so I have no photographic proof of the terror that ensued. The bridge to the right is something that I actually did try (and make it across - which if you need proof of divine intervention - there it is). The trail is full of dips and turns and trees and there is a real art form to staying off the brakes and just rolling through. I was very conservative in my ride through the park. I stepped around a few of the boulders, but I did make it over a few logs. I had two excellent teachers who were very patient with me. The larger question, is why do people do this in the name of recreation. I can't readily imagine doing this from week to week. I am sure I would get better, but I am not sure that my nervous system needs that kind of terrorizing.
Wow, was I ever happy to get home and hug my loving wife...

No comments:
Post a Comment