Tuesday, June 29, 2010

BU Orientation

On Wednesday we all met in Boston for the Orientation to BU. First to check in and get all our stuff into our dorm rooms (Dave and mine were great, but the girls had the more traditional and hot dorm rooms). The next step is off to lunch at the Afghan or Agha or something like that. I had a great pesto sandwich.







Here were my digs for the three nights. The room
Dave and I shared is more like an apartment with a full kitchen and a great view from the ninth floor. This building is just one year old, so everything looks great. Very comfortable accommodations. The girls did not have such nice rooms. They didn't have air conditioning and as a result, I think they have far less sleep.







Here is the aforementioned kitchen. Nicer than my first apartment in Hood River, by far.













Here are two views from our dorm room.
The first is in the midst of a storm that was blowing through and the second is the view early in the morning. A great view for a dorm room, or any room.










In the shadows on the field some group of guys in BU shorts are running lots of half-field sprints. Not just from here to there, but from goal line to mid-field, back to the goal line and then ending up at midfield. The real deal.








Here we are down at Quincy Market. In the background is the Old Town Hall I believe. Someone told us that the Declaration of Independence was signed there. I should know that - if it was true...









This is a better shot of the gang. Grace was wearing sandals and had very sore feet. I tried to talk her into getting alternative footwear, but the fiscally prudent young lady would have none of it. A real trooper.















When we got down to Quincy Market there were several street theater productions. The best was a group of five of six African American men who danced and did acrobatics. Here, in the finale, one of the men is jumping over two volunteers. Great fun.









Here is a woman who is covered in silver paint. This was hard for me to watch because I kept thinking how horrible that must be for her health. She was very good.















Grace and Dave at the harbor.













Dave and I at the harbor.













Dave sitting and thinking. This is on Friday, after Orientation is all over. It was a beautiful day.











Everyone is lost in the beauty of the moment.

















As the sun was setting we returned to our "dorm room". We went up to the twenty-sixth floor to check out the view and it was spectacular.











Grace and Dave talk to Will as he drives back to Minnesota and encounters the same storm that tore up much of Golden Valley, where Breck School is located.










It was a great adventure. This is looking west over a train yard, and beyond that are the athletic fields for Harvard.

My three days in Boston were filled with emotional ups and downs as I try and picture sending Maura off to college in eight weeks.













No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...