
I have been working my way slowly through Alone in Berlin since late March when I picked up the book. The last few days I have had more time to read and I was able to finish the last two hundred pages, and I am glad that I stuck with it.
I didn't realize until two days ago that this title was written in 1946. I was about to "spit the bit" on this title when a far more wise reader than I asked me why should it matter when it was written. True.
This is a story about a family in Berlin during the Second World War. They lose their son in the war and decide to resist the Nazis as a result. The book is about all the people who get sucked in as the Nazi's seek to find our who is creating a mild disturbance.
Apparently a good portion of the book is somewhat biographical as the author, Hans Fallada (pen name), was a writer during the Nazi regime and he had significant "ups" and "downs" during the Nazi era.
It was sobering to see what happens when people are encouraged to turn each other in and individual rights are ignored. Scary.
No comments:
Post a Comment