Monday, June 21, 2010

The Art of Racing In the Rain

I had several reasons to "spit the bit" on this title. Who wants to read a book about car racing, with a main character who dies of cancer? Don't care about car racing, and I have been down the cancer avenue, so, "No thanks. I take a pass." Or so I thought....

Three nights later I finished the book, which is quite rare for me to blast through something quite so fast.

This story is told by a lovable dog and a family that is struggling to stay together. Somehow this all worked enough for me. The first night I tried to read this I quit after two pages, not wanting to think about death and my soul (immortal or not). The second night I gave the book a try I absolutely fell into the story. I can't remember what pulled me in, but I bit - hook, line, and sinker.

So I finished this clever tale last night. As I waited for sleep to come, I tried to think about what shortcomings the story had, and I have to confess that I found it all too believable. The author did a very clever job of adding twists, like the disappearing barracuda lawyer, et al.

I would give this a three and a half paws up rating (out of four paws).

No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...