
I have just finished Peter Abrahams' Down the Rabbit Hole and I have to give this book very high marks. I was pulled in by Ingrid, the thirteen year protagonist of this novel, in the first paragraph as she sits in the waiting room of her orthodontist. Ingrid is musing about how all of a sudden one seems to move from cute, cute, cute baby and the next minute you are an adolescent who is getting teeth straightened, skin treated, and the bloom seems to be off the rose. Mr. Abrahams had my attention and as I followed Ingrid through soccer practices, play rehearsals, and visiting relatives. I found the story engaging and entertaining.
I am also impressed with the adults in this novel. Often in teen literature (and more often in movies) most of the adults are idiots, charactures of real people. I found the sheriff and Ingrid's grandfather particularly charming characters who added much to the story.
My only real complaint with this story was the introduction of the idea of "Down the Rabbit Hole", but in the big picture that is a minor complaint.
I give this bad boy four paws up, on the cat scale of rating books.
No comments:
Post a Comment