Saturday, February 4, 2012

Luke LeBlanc and Little Diamonds...

Yesterday was one of those days where I can barely stay awake on the ride home from school.  Fortunately, I rested and returned to watch Nyasia Arradondo and The Burghes followed by Luke LeBlanc (Little Diamonds & Friends).  


Nyasia had some fine moments in their 30 minute set, but she needs to be more consistent with her vocals through every song.  The highlight of this group was violinist, Gaia Ramsdell who playing added depth and a unique tone to an otherwise fairly traditional high school band.


The real fun began when Little Diamonds began setting up.  First, the group seemed to be a collection of men and women who had AARP cards, or were very close to that age.  I had not expected this and so I found great humor in this, especially when I looked at the sax player who was very grey and thin.  The group opened with a couple of Bob Dylan numbers and then transitioned into some Rolling Stone covers before Luke did several of his songs.  The group reassembled at the end for a final three songs, all of which were well done.


Part of the charm of the evening was seeing how focused the ten-piece band was in playing with Luke.  I would not have suspected that a group of older musicians who have been that excited about playing with a junior in high school, but I was wrong.  They were into it.  From the periodic sax solos of "Bruno" to the backup singers who swayed to the rhythm of each song - they were into it.


Great fun.

No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...