Saturday, January 14, 2012

Football Picks and the Damn Yankees

First the bad news...The damn Yankees did it again.  They traded a backup catcher, Jesus Montero, to Seattle for a great starting pitcher, Michael Pineda.  Both players are young, 22, and only have one year experience, but trading a good starting pitcher for a catcher with poor defense who can hit.  If I am a Mariners fan, I may need to be talked off the ledge this morning.  Pineda will be a number three starter in New York behind CC Sabathia and Freddy Garcia -- am I really to believe that Seattle has such a wealth of starting pitching that it can afford to give an arm like that.  I am just a Twins fan who is pissed that the rich are getting richer and the Mariners are going to suck yet again.  Damn it.

*******
Football playoffs.  

Saints at 49ers - Saints are picked by 3 and a half points.  The 49ers are supposed to bottle up the Saints running game, but that still leaves Drew Brees to throw all over the place.  The Saints defense isn't special, but neither is the 49er offense, so that could be where the game is won or lost.  Robin Fondow is right, in most cases you can't figure this shit out, it is just who shows up to play the game.  I grew up in the Bay Area - I am rooting for the 49ers.  Faith.

Giants at Packers - The Giants are the pick by many as the hot team who is putting it all together.  The Packers had a death in the family this week.  Joe Philbin's son was pulled out of the Fox River on Monday.  The worst thing a parent could ever go through.  This game will be painful to watch because when you have a dog in the hunt, it is rarely a relaxing game.

Denver at New England - Tebow and Denver get their skies waxed.  End of story.

Houston at Baltimore - Who cares.  Houston has a rookie backup quarterback and Baltimore is old, and plays old school football.  I guess I will pull for Houston just to have new blood in the mix.

No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...