
Going Bovine by Libba Bray
I love the characters in this book, and for the most part, I like the journey they take. The main character, Cameron, is a sixteen year old boy who is suffering from Mad Cow Disease. This book is about his journey to try and regain his health. He has three side kicks that join him - all of whom add a great deal to the story.
On the whole, I think the author fit too many ideas into Cameron's trip to become healthy.
I love the characters, but I am more traditional in my love of novels. I don't care for authors like Richard (Dick) Hoyt who view writing like playing jazz. They are always pushing the boundaries of what qualifies as a novel. Going Bovine isn't the same as Hoyt's most recent novels - but to a certain extent - Bray does the same thing.
I once heard a musician say the hardest part of song writing, is figuring out how to end the story. I think the same is true with writing novels (or with this novel). I was fascinated when I saw John Irving (I think) he settles on the last sentence, and then he writes the story. Somehow I walked away from a great journey with these characters and I asked myself - really? That's how it ends?
No comments:
Post a Comment