Sunday, September 21, 2008

Woodpeckers, Beer, and a Long Good-bye

This weekend was delightfully warm. Our dead elm tree has become a haven for the local woodpeckers. Both Hairy and Downy woodpeckers are feasting. Shortly after taking this picture, four more woodpeckers joined the fun.

While I was shooting woodpeckers (with a camera) my neighbor came to tell me that his wife was in hospice care. He was very reassuring that this was a good thing, but that news was unsettling to say the least. Thirty-eight year old mothers aren't supposed to die of cancer and leave behind two young boys. The boys will be okay, because their father is great, but it is a rotten deal for Pam and for the family.

Later that evening, Karyl and I went out on our weekly date. We went to Saint Anthony Main and had a beautiful dinner outside and watched everyone else take pictures while we ate. The black-haired woman on the park bench who was posing for God-only-knows was entertaining.

In the course of a lovely evening I had a couple of beers and then came home and retired early in the evening. As fate would have it, I didn't have a restful night's sleep. I wonder how much was the day's news and how much was the beer....

As the weekend closes down, I sort of feel like I let this one get away from me. I worked with Paul on the bathroom project both mornings, and I did some reading about assessment, and I have some plans for the week, put I don't have that sense of great accomplishment that I would like to have.

Sigh.

No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...