Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Pal, go get 'em" - Tim Russet


Yesterday I was shocked to learn that Tim Russert had died while at work at NBC. Mr. Russert was 58.

Tim Russert is a cherished member of the Fourth Estate. His willingness to grill his guests in a polite fashion will be greatly missed. I feel as if one of the trusted guards of the political machinations in Washington is gone, and who is watching the post now?

Mr. Russert is the prototypical story of the American dream. His father worked two full time jobs (delivering newspapers and working for the Sanitation department in South Buffalo, NY) and yet Tim rose to top in his field. The Sunday morning news magazine, "Meet the Press" was high rated, and Mr. Russert had been the host of the show since 1994 (I believe).

I liked the fact that Tim Russert didn't seem to be like Stone Phillips, Brian Williams, etc....someone who looks good in front of a camera. Russert did look more like an average guy, albeit, a very bright average guy. His energy for politics was palpable.

And then there is 58. Ouch. That is way too close.

So as Hunter Thompson once wrote, the circle is closed in by one. We all come together knowing that the members of the brotherhood are shorter by one very large man.

Tim, thanks for the ride.

No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...