Sunday, March 23, 2008

What is Happening to the Yankees?



Normally I take great joy in rooting against the Yankees. They have represented big money, spending tons to lure free agents to New York. I find the idea of trying to buy championships distasteful. However, it would appear the Yankees are headed in a new direction. This winter they didn't dive in with both feet to scoop up Johann Santana, which is an unusaul sign of restraint. Then this past week the Yankees ventured down to Virginia Tech to pay tribute to the people who died last year's school shooting and to play a baseball game. An editorial in today's New York Times sport's section cites the Yankees as demonstrating "class". I would have to agree.

I hope the Yankees continue to demonstrate some fiscal restraint. They could still dominate baseball by developing a world-class player development farm system, but I don't know if they are hard wired to be that patient. We shall see.

Tip of the cap to the men in the pinstripes.

No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...