Saturday, November 7, 2015

No to Keystone, Polymet, and Self-Doubt...


Dear President Obama,

Thank you very much for saying "No" to the Keystone Pipeline Project.  I have no desire to have Canadian tar sands piped across the United States.  This is not the direction I would like to see our energy policy take.  I am sorry if this costs jobs in Canada, but horrible environmental projects are worth jobs.  The jobs only last 20 years or so and the mess to the planet remains long after that.

I wish the State of Minnesota would say, "No" to the PolyMet nickel and copper mine.  This is a train wreck waiting to happen.  We need to to better for the people of northern Minnesota so that this sort of project is not attractive.  My sense is that we are only interested in the project because it promises to bring jobs to the state - we certainly don't need the waste water leeching into Lake Superior....

Sincerely,

Byron Rice

•••••

This week I traveled from "hero" to "moron" and back again.  It has been a tough week.  
1985 Flatiron A5 Artist...by Steve Carlson
Two weeks ago I stumbled into this mandolin.  I have been looking for a Flatiron mandolin, as they were later bought out by Gibson, so they must have been making good instruments.  After playing my new mando a couple of times I noticed that at times there was a horrible buzzing when I played the D & A strings.  Falling into my usual pattern I assumed that what I thought had been a good deal, was now looking like I had a wonderful mandolin, but it was in need of some serious work.

Thursday night I was plucking around and I thought, "Well, let's try changing the strings and see if that does anything."  At that point I noticed that the tail piece was quite loose.  So a new set of strings later, and with a little attention to getting the tail piece on correctly and it turns out that I am not the moron I was so quick to declare.  The mandolin sounds fine, or as fine as my beginning fingers can make it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Shout out to Marv at Homestead Pickin' Parlor for the great deal on a wonderful instrument.


No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...