Sunday, May 27, 2012

"You Seem Off Your Game Today..."

Ah, the summer months in Minnesota.  Sirens going off...is that repeated thunder in the background or is that a tornado?  Sounds east of here.

I have come to love Minnesota for its many virtues.  These storms however,  not my favorite.  I suppose this is the price for living in such a nice place.  Sigh.

Last night I bought a copy of Robert Caro's Passage to Power on the recommendation of a colleague at work.  It looks to big to take to DC later this week.  We shall see.  I don't need to be lugging around a doorstop while I am in the heat of DC.

I have been reading up on the 20D that I have so that I will be able to take better pictures.  The Internet is wonderful.

Friday night I was exhausted and I had a couple of tequila/Kahlua/& milks as I vegetated on the sofa while Dad watched a ball game.  Saturday morning I was working at the bike shop when a young man with his son looked at me and said, "Are you okay?  You seem off your game today."  I was completely taken aback.  I looked hard at the young man trying to figure if we had met before, and whether I knew him. 

I finally managed to utter, "No, I haven't had much sleep this week."  He let it go.  In the years in between those two comments my mind raced.  One, was I not speaking in complete sentences?  What is going on that this stranger thinks I am struggling?   And then there are the whole host of comments about trying to figure out if my two beverages really disabled me to the extent that I wasn't functioning as one would expect.  That's a happy thought.

Sunday morning I shared the above story with my cohorts, and I got quite a few laughs.  Terry, the Dentist, called me later (a first) and left me a message that if I weren't "off my game" given what I am dealing with - then something would be truly wrong.  What a great message.  I am one of the group.  Good stuff.

So, when I get back from DC and finish up my commitments for school - then it will be time to find Dad a better facility.  The people at Jones-Harrison seem to like calm, rich clients who don't cause problems.  No one I know seems very impressed with the job they are doing.


No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...