Monday, July 25, 2011

Transitions.....

It dawned on me the other day, I can't remember where, that for my family the summer months are a time of transition. This is especially true with July, which has two wonderful family birthdays that bookend our greatest tragedy as a group.

For several years, about this time of year, we gathered together at the ocean and participated in the ever-evolving family vacation. Lots of sun, mostly joy, but the usual amounts of elephants in the room. For the past two or three summers we have not gathered and while I speak with people individually, I greatly, miss the family meals. It was both a chance to celebrate the victories in our lives, and an opportunity to try and make meaning from the non-sensical parts of life. Without that time together I don't feel quite as well tethered. I miss the group.

We will have to get together and see what we can do about this. Everyone's life is spinning out in new and different orbits now. Kids have grown, marriages have blessed us, and the days at the beach may well be behind us in the warm recesses of fond memory.

If not the beach, then I need some other symposia of the great minds and spirits....

No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...