
The High:
This week in one day I experienced one of the great joys of teaching. A student who was reluctant to take chances in an adventure-learning class. Something happened in the last ten days and all of a sudden, this young lady started to take risks. Here she is jumping off the pamper pole last Friday. I just doesn't get any better than that as a teacher. That's the high.
The Low:

The same day that a student made a great leap forward, I found out that a colleague of mine is struggling. He seems to have lost his ability to solve problems. I don't know how well this has been going on, perhaps this is not new. None-the-less all is not well. I worry that this man may go the way of Brad Randall, another former colleague who suffered from depression and ended up taking his own life.
The Uncertain:
Yesterday I also learned that I will have a new boss next year. I don't know what this means. Will we have a vision as a community, or will it be sameo, sameo. I am sorry that my colleague Becky Farber has to end a great teaching career being shown the door. The guess is that the job was offered to someone outside, and that is why it has taken the school so long to make a decision. The speculation is that we were turned down and that the current choice was the number two man, but who really knows. It doesn't matter. What matters is that there is a new man on campus.
No comments:
Post a Comment