Monday, July 16, 2018

The Scene of the Crime...

The Minnesota River meets the Mississippi River.
A Beautiful Ride along the Minnesota River

Today I enjoyed a beautiful bike ride from the 494 Bridge in Eagan, north on the Big Rivers Trial.  I love the view of the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers as they merge, but along the way I noticed some handsome older buildings, and I just had to investigate.

Hidden Gems

I love home built from stone.  They look so solid, and it feels as if one could withstand any winter that might come your way.  I have seen the homes of Cornish miners near Galena, Illinois - a

Henry Sibley House
Ice House
Lo and behold, I found the Henry Sibley House.  I read that originally there were log cabin homes here, but in 1862 (a pretty important year in Minnesota history) Mr. Sibley built these more permanent structures.  There was the ice house, a trading post, and the home of another trader, Jean Baptiste Faribault.

Money First and People Later

I know that in 1851, in this area the Dakota "signed" away millions of acres to the US government.  After signing two copies of the treaty, the Dakota were led to a third document which stated that part of the money that was promised to the Dakota was to go to traders like Sibley to pay off their debts.  It would appear that while the trading business was not doing well for Mr. Sibley in 1851, he used the Dakota money and he did very well financially over the next eleven years.

I know you aren't supposed to judge people from 1862 by moral standards from 2018, but it is hard not to look at these beautiful homes and feel that they are a shameful part of Minnesota history.  I guess this is what happens when you look at others and don't seem these as people too.

Home of Jean Baptiste Faribault
I still can't help thinking that Mr. Sibley should have done better.  He seems like a bit of a shameless opportunist.

Eaten Alive

My visit to these beautiful buildings was cut short by the persist attack of ten thousand mosquitoes.  The wind had not yet kicked up, and even when I stood in the sun and on the road I was mauled by our state bird.  I left wondering how the Sibley's enjoyed their summer months given the enthusiasm of the local mosquito population.

Sibley home and I believe the building on the right is a trading post.

No comments:

First Trip To Bayfront Park in Millbrae

 On Friday, 3 of March I had the privilege of spending an hour at Bay Front Park in Millbrae, California, just a few miles south of San Fran...